Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Craft Nazi

This week is Vacation Bible School at our church. They asked, and since I am on vacation I took on the role of teaching the crafts. I love teaching crafts and have done it several times before but this week has been so busy with all I have to do in my home life, I feel like I am living in a blur of glue, paint, and paper and driving.

Sunday night we set up and went back to my helpers house to prepare for Monday, we finished and my helper crashed, then her mom and I got into one of those amazing heart to heart talks neither of us wanted to end. We realized we were in trouble when Steve had Eric call me at 2:00 am. I finally got to bed at 4:00am.

Monday- Walking and driving around like a zombie, I had tons of errands to do and never had time to rest. I realized the foil, newspaper hats for Tuesday were just not working out so at 8:30 pm I had to go shop for a replacement craft. I prayed...

"Lord, please provide a solution for this problem in one store!" He took pity on the poor sleep deprived heart in the right place craft teacher and provided the perfect silver paper and I went to my helpers cause I was in dire need for her assistance and this time made sure I avoided her mom. (Just kidding)...

I got home and decided the best way for the kids to do the craft in the time allowed was for them to be pre-made to a certain point so I got to bed at midnight.
ZZZZZZZZ

Tuesday- still no time for napping but I was able to figure Wednesdays craft after VBS so I was feeling good about myself... UNTIL... I remembered at 8:00pm that we had switched Wed and Thurs crafts. Wahhhhhhh Origami boats! Thank you Lord for video origami lessons cause this gal could not follow diagrams with crossed eyes for nothing. The foam boats for the babies were just plain dumb and again God provided an alternative WITH COLORED TEMPLATES. God loves the sleepy craft teacher. In bed by 12:00

Wednesday- "Eric, we must get to bed earlier!

I love doing crafts and teaching them but there are some things I will not release control of and you can call me a Craft Nazi if you want.

#1 Cutting- I have mad cutting skills and get all OCD when my helpers can't cut. I catch myself saying "I will do it" as sweetly as possible without GRABBING the project out of their hands.

#2 Folding- I love my Martha Stewart bone folder and the crisp lines and corners it creates. "Here let me fold that for you" when really I am saying "Yikes! your corner has a kink in it"!!!

#3 Glitter glue- It should be illegal for anyone under 10 to use a tube of glitter glue or puffy paint for that matter.

#4 Sharpie pens- They are mine... All mine... And put them, the tape, and the adult scissors back in the basket or I will give you my smile with no teeth.

Tomorrows craft is done and Fridays is a kit so I can only hope to get to bed before midnight.

I have received confirmation in this ordeal this week, I realized I am a no nonsense Mom Of Dudes, God didn't give me girls for a reason. I can't be bothered with drama in the high speed world of crafts on a tight schedule "I am sorry you spelled Jesus wrong! get over it!!!"

But really folks, Vacation Bible School is a blast, the kids are wonderful and the memories of three year olds humming while they color, the hugs, and the word "Origami" make it all worth while.

We need a Sunday School teacher Troy will you do it?... I will have to pray about that one...

No comments: