Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Measure of A Man...

Today Eric came home from school very upset. It seems he was yelled at by the locker room attendant who told him to get his S___T! out of here.

He is a new kid in a new place and was unsure of where to put his backpack, after the lovely comment he still needed his help to find out where to properly store his belongings.

"Mom, no one has ever spoken like that to me before" My heart sank and all I could say was "I am sorry"

It kills me but I had to tell him that this was probably not the last time someone will speak harshly to him. I remember when Cameron and I had this same conversation, Cam was a youth Umpire for Little League and he could not believe how horribly the coaches would speak to him in front of their own children and he was a kid too!

We talked more about life and the people that you will encounter and I became more grateful for my Steve in that he has only been a supportive and uplifting father.

After awhile Eric came to me and said "You know what mom, he is probably frustrated by the kids who are disrespectful to him so I decided that tomorrow I will go up to him, shake his hand and introduce myself to him. I am going to show him that I will never be disrespectful to him. I know it might not work, but I hope we can become friends since I have to talk to him every day for the next four years."

What a wonderful young man, that boy of mine...

"I say the measure of a man
Is not how tall you stand
How wealthy or intelligent you are
'Cause I've found out the measure of a man
God knows and understands
For He looks inside to the bottom of your heart
And what's in the heart defines
The measure of a man

No comments: