Monday, March 15, 2010

Surprisingly Calm...

We are in the final stages of our kitchen make over so I decided to shake things up and do some furniture moving, or should I say have Steve help me move furniture.

First off, lets move my extremely delicate antique wedding present china cabinet to the corner, Sounds simple enough, it is only going over three feet. I know it is on its last leg and very wobbly but I knew moving it could be done carefully...

One thing I did not even consider was emptying the cabinet of all of our family treasures before moving it...Lesson Learned...

I now know what the shattered pieces of my treasures look like... Gone is the Lladro I got for my 30th birthday, my only two precious moments figurines which marked my wedding and 5th anniversary, a milkglass vase and bowl, an entire German vintage tea set and various other treasures including the Lennox Dove Dish that was one of my favorite wedding gifts, my first one broke and my sister Penny surprised me with a replacement she found on Ebay, seriously,seconds after I displayed that one it was broken and my dear Penny replaced it again...Do I want another? Of course...

All I could think was that it was MY idea to move the cabinet that's all there is to it and all I could hear was my Mother's voice saying "They are only things" My Grandma used to always tell her "Never get too attached to Things"

But, I am grateful... Saved were the Teapot I made in 7th grade, the Rosenthal China teapot (lost one cup) that my mother in law gave me the Christmas before she died, and the family heirloom Rosenthal China service. I KNOW my sister in law Karin would have visited from her grave in a nightmare that would rival Elm Street if that had been broken too...

Surprisingly, I am calm, I didn't shed a tear while I swept up the beautiful china shards, Steve and Eric were very sympathetic and ultra gingerly moved my other china cabinet without the movement of a single item...

Thank God I really like the new furniture arrangement, I can't imagine what the guys would have said if I didn't like it...

Alas...Tomorrow is a new day...

No comments: