Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Whould He Cry For You?

A tragedy happened in our lives recently. Three boys age 15, 11 and 9 went on a joyride that cost them their lives. In one minute it was over, wow, the magnitude of the impact is amazing. My dear hearted 14 year old son lost a classmate, a mother lost her only two sons, another family lost their son, a school lost two students and another lost one, and I can only imagine the shock endured by the Highway Patrolman who witnessed the entire incident.

My son was devastated, the boy that was his classmate used to make him laugh, he was the clown and Eric was crushed, one day the boy was there and the next he was gone.

I had no way to console him, I lost a friend in a car accident as a senior in High School but not in middle school. Kids their age don't die. Eric handled it in his own way by writing his friends name on his arms as a tribute. He wore the memorial ink for a few days and got in the car one day after school and was crushed at what a kid had said to him.

"You hardly knew him, I'll bet if you died he wouldn't cry for you"

Made Eric think... Would he have cried for me?

I told him that did not matter at all, what happened to his friend was a tragedy and tragedies deserve our tears. I did not know anyone who died in the 9/11 attacks and yet I cried for them. Never feel like your tears and sympathy should be given to only those who would cry for you. Emotions are not a contest.

Cry away my son...

3 comments:

Agmvcc said...

How devastating for those families, and the community. Your words were right on for your son.

Crayl said...

That wasn't from Aaron, that was me.

My life said...

How horrible! Those families are in my prayers.

And i love what you said to your son.