Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cookie Memories Lost and Found

I haven't made them since before Cameron was born but I can still remember the little recipe folder we kept in the can of dried Shields Date Crystals. I also remember Chip loved them so I decided yesterday I would make Dream Bars. They are a chewy Date cookie with a shortbread crust. I had bought some dates awhile ago and thought I was ready to go. I was sure the recipe card was in my cookbook but alas it was not. No worry, I called my go to girl Penny thinking the recipe was on her famous "Yellow Tablet" of mom's recipes but she didn't have it. My other go to gal Sydney didn't have it either so the search was on... I thought the Internet was supposed to have EVERYTHING! Well, no recipe site has this recipe posted and I became so sad thinking a little bit of my Mom was lost.

I tried to re-create the recipe from memory but it was not right so I scrapped that idea really quick.

I baked away but my heart was sad, I wouldn't have special cookies for my brother Friday and I can't make Dream Bars again... It was a really sad and strangely final feeling that weighed heavy on my heart. (This is where Gloria stepped in with my ribbon tree and brightened my day)

Pen suggested I contact the Shields Date Company directly and sure enough on their website was an email so I sent a request for the vintage recipe, not thinking anything of it. I even forgot to pray for it.

But God knows the desires of his Troysies heart and sure enough FIRST THING this morning in my email box was the recipe. Thank you Ann from Shields for restoring a little piece of my heart, and for the yummy cookie recipe.

"There's just one wish on this Christmas Eve (Actually Christmas eve,eve)
I wish I were with you...
Merry Merry Merry Christmas... Darling"





****************DATE CRYSTAL DREAM BARS*************
THIS WILL BECOME ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE COOKIES. YOU BAKE THE PASTRY PART FIRST THEN SPREAD THE TOPPING OVER IT AND CONTINUE BAKING. BE SURE TO CUT THE BARS WHILE WARM.
PASTRY
1 CUP FLOUR
1/2 CUP SHORTENING
1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR
TOPPING
2 EGGS WELL BEATEN
1 CUP BROWN SUGAR
2 TABLESPOONS FLOUR
1/2 TSP BAKING POWDER
1/4 TSP SALT
1 TSP VANILLA
1 CUP SHIELDS DATE CRYSTALS
1 CUP CHOPPED WALNUTS
MAKE PASTRY BY BLENDING FLOUR, SHORTENING AND SUGAR THOROUGHLY. PAT AND PRESS MIXTURE FIRMLY INTO A SHALLOW 8 X 12 INCH PAN. BAKE 15 MINUTES OR UNTIL LIGHTLY BROWNED OVEN AT 375F.
MAKE TOPPING: BEAT EGGS AND SUGAR TOGETHER. ADD FLOUR, BAKING POWDER AND SALT TO MIXTURE. STIR IN SHIELDS DATE CRYSTALS , NUTS AND VANILLA. SPREAD OVER BAKED PASTRY. RETURN TO OVEN AND BAKE 20 MINUTES. REDUCE OVEN TO 325F. CRUNCHY AND RICH.

No comments: