Thursday, December 31, 2009

Troysie Tamales part 1

Troysie Tamales part 1

First of all remember:
#1 I am only 1/2 Mexican.

#2 My mother was not a tamale maker so I am completely self taught.

#3 I do not like spicy food.

(I feel like I am living on the wild side when I select "Medium" salsa.
I do however,like a lot of flavor and make my tamales with as much spice as I can handle, but slather them with your liquid lava if that is your cup of tea, I will not be hurt.)

#4 I AM ON VACATION!!! MY SON IS AT CAMP!!! I AM COMPLETELY ALONE!!! I AM LISTENING TO TROY MUSIC!!! LIFE IS IN PERFECT HARMONY!!!

Let us begin...

Now, all of this stuff can be made from scratch but that is not how I fly, I am more of a Semi-Home-Made kind of gal so I use packages and cans whenever possible.


Ingredients- I am making two kinds of tamales, cheese and meat. The batch is relatively small just for us and not intending to sell or share. Larger quantities require many more hands much more ingredients and a much larger pot.

Prepared Masa- 6 lbs made by the little ladies at the Mexican store and purchased warm. I tried making Masa once, slaved over it, almost blew out my mixer and my arm, threw it out, went to the Mexican store and bought it.


Meat- 5 lbs-For my meat tamale I am using pork, normally I buy a picnic roast but Winco had this really cool boneless Pork loin pieces on sale to that is what I got.

Tamale Pot, I got a new one cause my other one is so huge I could put a blanket over it and use it as an ottoman. This is the smallest one they make and it was only $10!!
Pepper Jack Cheese 1lb
Ortega Chilies 4 small cans cause they didn't have larger cans
Green Enchilada sauce 3 large cans
Minced Garlic 4 cloves
Onion 1/2 large
Dried Corn Husks 2 packages
Seasoning for meat, I want to try to mimic this really great meat my mom used to make, all she used was pickling spice, garlic and season salt and boiled it all day. I got this cool spice mix at the Mexican store that has tons of stuff in it and a big dried chili which scares me to death. It is called "Para Tamales Centro Americanos"









Put all the meat onion, garlic and spices in the crock pot on high with a cup of water.(I only used 1/3 of the big scary chili)




Put the Corn Husks in the sink to soak



Phase 1 is over, this meat should cook for awhile 4-6 hours until it can easily shred.

On to the cheese tamales.

1 comment:

My life said...

Im going to have to try these!