Saturday, August 16, 2008

Milosevic

My husband Steve's grandfather Daniel was an immigrant from Serbia and so was his grandmother Daisy. She told us stories of her landing at the statue of liberty and starting her life in America. I always thought that was cool.
They settled in Chicago and raised 4 sons. During the depression Daniel would venture out to seek day work and the businesses would call the worker's names by alphabetical order. When they would get to Daniel's last name Milosevic they would pass him by and move on because they could not pronounce his name. This lack of work prompted Daniel to Americanize his name and thus... We became The Millers.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

I know this may sound silly, but one of the things that was attractive to me about Steve was his nice common name.

My last name was Pounds and for a chubby girl...Well, you get the picture.

I was thrilled to become Troy Miller. I always Hated Troy Pounds. Still hate Troy but you gotta forgive you parents some time...

I know Cameron loves his name and Beka is excited to become Mrs. Miller.

God Bless America and our tongues that can't pronounce big words.

No comments: